Skip to main content

My 3 Hacks For Relentless Self Improvement

Be Prepared To Pay The Price

Excellence comes at a cost. In my years as a teenage swimmer I learned about the effects of deliberate practice and the possibilities to tap into my own potential to a depth that I would never have thought possible. Johnny Weismueller is remembered for two accomplishments: First for playing the legendary Tarzan figure on screen as an actor and second for being the first human to swim the 100m freestyle in less than 60 seconds. At the time the 60 seconds mark was an incredible feat to accomplish. These days anyone can break the minute mark. We know what it takes and we know how to train for it. Nevertheless, only few people actually break the minute mark. The reason is that only few people are willing to pay the price (approximately 2-4 years of deliberate swim training as a grown up). Let's face it: (Luckily) there is no shortcut to excellence - no cheating yourself to brilliance and mastery. You have to be prepared to pay a price in time, sweat and blood to really excel in any field. So if you plan to acquire ninja-like skills, ask yourself first: What are you willing to sacrifice?

Here's my tips what you ought to be willing to sacrifice in order to excel:

1. Sleepy Early, Wakey Early

Waking up early to have some time for things you value highly is a great way to progress. It takes not only discipline, but rather conviction. The bargain could work like this: In order to read/exercise/draw/etc. more, you'll sacrifice some late hours and gain some early hours. Late hours are not the most productive anyways, so the benefit should easily outweigh the loss.

2. Daily Do

I call this the principle of marginal progress. Steady small steps will render better results over time than sporadic but excessive sessions. Stimulating your brain by indulging into a specific activity as a habit will have a significantly stronger impact on your development than sporadic but long activities. Habits are the living proof of your identity. What you do on a high frequency basis, e.g. daily or every two/three days, will stick with you the strongest and become a larger part of your identity.

3. Be Brutally Consequential

Don't let anyone or anything talk you out of your designated plan. Have the confidence to push through times of doubt and distress. Don't let yourself be discouraged by a lack of results. The blues will come at some point. Remember you're on a marathon. Success is inevitable, but you cannot force it. Execution is key, so keep going. Be brutal in your consequence and follow it through.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn To Unlearn

Be Brilliant Subject matter expertise has its perks. Being an expert on any field requires deep learning as well as deliberate practice over years and years. The more professional experience you gain the more you'll swap a minimum principle mindset ('What do I need to do to achieve XY?') for a maximum principle ('How much can I possibly achieve with my available resources?'). When I started as a consultant I had a very basic and fragmented knowledge in most of the technical aspects in my subject matter. At the time I was already a certified and experienced supply chain management expert with some merits. However, as the branch I had worked in (military and defence) neither used the latest technology nor had a business model that promoted short development or change cycles in leadership or management, I did not feel 100% competitive. Therefore I faced some serious challenges when I started my career in the private sector.  At the time when I joined a consulting compa...

Friday Retrospective

As a habit  I take my time and sit down every Friday and reflect on the past week. For this task I have a journal where I take some notes. I am not a hundred percent consequential to be honest even though the effects it had on my life are severe. As a standard scheme I ask myself five questions. 1. What was the most important change? For me it was my inoculation, which I had today. It wasn't the event itself, but more the perspective it triggered. The hope to see and meet friends and family, clients and colleagues again some day soon overwhelmed me. I am absolutely convinced that I belong to the lucky ones who benefited tremendously from the pandemic with all its ups and downs, so I don't want to sound self pitying. But like everyone I have been hurting. Hurting to see my kids not being able to visit their Granny, hurting not being able to meet with loved ones far away once in a while. Compared to that the restrictions at work felt miniscule. And now for the first time in 18 mo...

Failure Culture

The Default State of Society The other day I read a post on my company's intranet that stuck with me and made me think. I'll try to give it in my own words: A teacher entered the class room and started to write equations on the board. 1x9 = 9 2x9=18 3x9=27 The class watched and there was only the usual murmur while the teacher proceeded. 4x9=36 5x9=45 6x9=54 7x9=63 8x9=72 9x9=81 10x9=91 On finishing the teacher turned to the class and noticed some murmurs and giggles. He paused for a moment and the giggles increased. Some pupils started to laugh and after a while others joined in until a majority of pupils found amusement in the teacher's mistake and joined the laughter. After a while, when the laughter dampened down, the teacher said: "I made this mistake on purpose in order to demonstrate a point. I wrote ten equations on the board, of which nine were absolutely correct. Most of you however decided to focus on the one equation that was false. None of you gave me any ...