Skip to main content

Lead your own change

Deliberate planning and acting make teams more resilient



Brittle bridges over beautiful Bonn

As a “self made Bonner” it worries me to see what is going on in Bonn. Because of my deep affection for Bonn it hurts me that lately it has frequently been the center of attention in the media for reasons nobody can possibly enjoy: One of its three bridges over the Rhine river was shut down on short notice due to risk of failure. Apparently a combination of insufficient maintenance, inadequate oversight, and decades of increasing traffic led to severe damage that went unnoticed until some dangerous cracks were discovered. Most Germans still remember the sudden and unexpected collapse of a bridge in Dresden in September 2024. One incident is a tragedy. Two are patterns.

However Bonn’s Bridges merely symbolize a wider misconception: people’s illusion with change happening ‘by accident’ or being brought to them, rather than having some agency in it and driving change.

Von Moltke, Eisenhower and Tyson meet in a bar

This could be the beginning of a hilarious joke. In fact the common insight of these very different men had a deep impact and made a severe difference in the lives of millions of people. Sometimes the difference between life or death.

Military strategist Helmuth von Moltke proposed that “No plan survives contact with the enemy.” U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower realized that “A plan is useless, while planning is indispensable.” And finally heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson stated that “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

This concept of strategic dynamics matters because it 

  • Emphasizes flexibility: Military and business leaders use it to highlight that rigid adherence to a script leads to failure.

  • Prioritizes adaptability: Real strategy requires the ability to react to unpredictable, real-time changes.

  • Values the act of planning: The process of planning matters because it forces you to understand your resources and restrictions, even if the final plan must change.

One of the first principles of resilience is to plan ahead. At the same time be aware that your plan might need some changes as events unfold or become partially obsolete or even outright futile. A resilient team understands the necessity of planning and adapting to changes as well as it understands the necessity to have a plan that anticipates important decisions and routines, in order to save sufficient resources for strategic thinking and decision making.

These three men came from entirely different worlds. Yet they arrived at the same conclusion: planning matters. Not because plans survive reality, but because people who plan adapt better when reality changes. 

Hope for the best, plan for the worst

Sacrifices for a better future, let alone a clear vision is not something many leaders are keen to talk about these days. What people, myself included, really like to talk about these days is the best locations where to spend our vacations (France), the best dishes and wines (any French wine, preferably rosé) or beers (Bavarian) to enjoy or the best choice of the next coach of our national soccer team (Klopp).

But the more important insight seems, that it’s futile to wait for change to happen by chance or by some mysterious force - instead you should lead your own change. One lesson I learned during my time as a soldier has stayed with me : Impact is more important than safety. Safety matters. However meaningful progress requires accepting that absolute certainty never exists. While politicians still debate billion-dollar infrastructure programs, many citizens have quietly adapted already. 

What to do? 

Bridges do not collapse overnight. They collapse after years of deferred maintenance. It's also true for:

  • relationships,

  • companies,

  • marriages,

  • careers,

  • countries.

Create a plan and act now. Don’t wait for change to come to you. Don’t always wait for permission or absolute safety, where there is none likely to be had. Lead your team with courage and compassion, Lead your own change. Some days might bring little progress. On some you will hit important milestones and achieve great goals. Learn to enjoy both.

Build bridges that endure

Progress is progress - even if it occasionally seems minuscule. The joy of steadily progressing towards a goal or a vision makes people happy. Achieving goals is fun, sure. But hope is not a strategy. Building resilience into teams and organizations is. Creating and fostering people’s sense of agency and self efficacy by building and maintaining bridges that hold over time is what feels truly rewarding.

What change are you working on?

#notestomyfutureme #leadership #buildbridges #kloppoforpresident


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Retrospective

As a habit  I take my time and sit down every Friday and reflect on the past week. For this task I have a journal where I take some notes. I am not a hundred percent consequential to be honest even though the effects it had on my life are severe. As a standard scheme I ask myself five questions. 1. What was the most important change? For me it was my inoculation, which I had today. It wasn't the event itself, but more the perspective it triggered. The hope to see and meet friends and family, clients and colleagues again some day soon overwhelmed me. I am absolutely convinced that I belong to the lucky ones who benefited tremendously from the pandemic with all its ups and downs, so I don't want to sound self pitying. But like everyone I have been hurting. Hurting to see my kids not being able to visit their Granny, hurting not being able to meet with loved ones far away once in a while. Compared to that the restrictions at work felt miniscule. And now for the first time in 18 mo...

Plans and Principles

Why is it that plans can, sometimes even need to change over time? At the same time: Should guiding principles be designed to live long term and to be resistant to short term change? To both questions my answer is a firm yes. Here's why: The principle of the benefit of long lasting habits is one that fascinated me early on. The imagination that any person can improve to levels beyond their own imagination by merely sticking to a habit over a long period still strikes me. One of my oldest habits is sports. I started swimming as a member of a club -and later also as one of a competitive team- as a young teenager and have stuck to some kind of sports habit ever since. When I started first I went to training sessions twice a week. At my peak I did six to eight training sessions a week and most of my school holidays were spent either on training camps or competitions. So my first serious habit was established during those early years. After school I was not always able to swim due to re...

Learn To Unlearn

Be Brilliant Subject matter expertise has its perks. Being an expert on any field requires deep learning as well as deliberate practice over years and years. The more professional experience you gain the more you'll swap a minimum principle mindset ('What do I need to do to achieve XY?') for a maximum principle ('How much can I possibly achieve with my available resources?'). When I started as a consultant I had a very basic and fragmented knowledge in most of the technical aspects in my subject matter. At the time I was already a certified and experienced supply chain management expert with some merits. However, as the branch I had worked in (military and defence) neither used the latest technology nor had a business model that promoted short development or change cycles in leadership or management, I did not feel 100% competitive. Therefore I faced some serious challenges when I started my career in the private sector.  At the time when I joined a consulting compa...