Skip to main content

Der feine Unterschied

Was unterscheidet Sport von Leistungssport?


Vor Jahren hat mich eine gute Freundin gefragt, warum ich so viel trainieren würde. Sie war der Ansicht, ich würde mit wesentlich weniger Aufwand doch auch locker noch eine tolle Figur halten können. Was vielleicht sogar als Kompliment -oder auch das komplette Gegenteil- gemeint war, lässt mich bis heute gelegentlich grübeln. Erstens, weil ihre Argumentation in sich schlüssig war und sie ja ohne Zweifel Recht hatte. Um einer ansehnlichen Strandfigur willen erreicht man bereits mit überschaubarem Aufwand ein ordentliches Ergebnis. Zweitens, weil die Wahrnehmung von Zielsetzung, Aufwand und deren Verhältnis im Sport offenbar immer subjektiv ist. Viele Teammitglieder, mit denen ich damals trainiert habe, waren Langdistanzathleten. Aus deren Sicht war mein Aufwand alles andere als bemerkenswert, geschweige denn ausgereizt.

Es wird kaum ein Hobbysportler freiwillig um 5 Uhr aufstehen, nur damit er pünktlich um 6h vom Beckenrand eines Hallenbades ins Wasser springen und stundenlang seine Bahnen ziehen kann. Ein Hobbysportler würde sich wohl auch tendenziell nicht bei ungünstigen Rahmenbedingungen an einen "Trainingsplan" halten, also z.B. bei Kälte, Wind, Regen, usw. zum Trainieren einen Fuss vor die Tür setzen.

Also was unterscheidet nun den Leistungssportler vom reinen Hobbysportler? Den Schwimmer vom Bauchwäscher? Den Läufer vom Jogger? Eine genaue, geschweige denn erschöpfende Antwort auf diese fast schon philosophische Frage würde wohl Bücher füllen. Allerdings lassen sich Hinweise sammeln. Also dann mal munter los:



Merkmale und Ansichten, die Leistungssportler von Sportlern unterscheiden:


  1. Wenn ein Leistungssportler vom "Jahr" spricht, meint er nicht das Kalenderjahr, sondern die Saison.
  2. Leistung lässt sich -objektiv- messen. Sich, bzw. die eigene Leistung mit der von anderen oder der Eigenen zu messen, ist eine wesentliche Motivation des Leistungssportlers.
  3. Im Leisstungssport gibt es keine "Wettbewerbe". Die Dinger heissen "Wettkämpfe" - und zwar aus gutem Grund :-)
  4. Wettkämpfe dienen zum messen und überprüfen der eigenen Leistungsfähigkeit.
  5. Training dient zur Vorbereitung auf Wettkämpfe.
  6. Manchmal kann eine Trainingseinheit "spontan" zum Wettkampf werden.
  7. Manchmal kann ein Wettkampf "spontan" zur Katastrophe werden.
  8. Der Trainingsplan ist keine "Diskussionsgrundlage".




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn To Unlearn

Be Brilliant Subject matter expertise has its perks. Being an expert on any field requires deep learning as well as deliberate practice over years and years. The more professional experience you gain the more you'll swap a minimum principle mindset ('What do I need to do to achieve XY?') for a maximum principle ('How much can I possibly achieve with my available resources?'). When I started as a consultant I had a very basic and fragmented knowledge in most of the technical aspects in my subject matter. At the time I was already a certified and experienced supply chain management expert with some merits. However, as the branch I had worked in (military and defence) neither used the latest technology nor had a business model that promoted short development or change cycles in leadership or management, I did not feel 100% competitive. Therefore I faced some serious challenges when I started my career in the private sector.  At the time when I joined a consulting compa...

Friday Retrospective

As a habit  I take my time and sit down every Friday and reflect on the past week. For this task I have a journal where I take some notes. I am not a hundred percent consequential to be honest even though the effects it had on my life are severe. As a standard scheme I ask myself five questions. 1. What was the most important change? For me it was my inoculation, which I had today. It wasn't the event itself, but more the perspective it triggered. The hope to see and meet friends and family, clients and colleagues again some day soon overwhelmed me. I am absolutely convinced that I belong to the lucky ones who benefited tremendously from the pandemic with all its ups and downs, so I don't want to sound self pitying. But like everyone I have been hurting. Hurting to see my kids not being able to visit their Granny, hurting not being able to meet with loved ones far away once in a while. Compared to that the restrictions at work felt miniscule. And now for the first time in 18 mo...

How I Stay Motivated pt 3/3

 #HWBTWTDWH Action and execution are the only means that will move you towards your goals. They will always have a larger stake in the value rendered than any groundbreaking idea, any bulletproof plan, or talent and genius. Don't get me wrong: great ideas, plans and talent are all viable multipliers. However, without execution they will not make any difference. Thus t here's one law to career making and success in business or life in general: Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard . And for the work part, there’s good news: smooth and steady effort is more effective than sporadic strong effort. 'Hard work' thus should not be understood as excessive, over ambitious but sporadic work, but as a steady and sustainable flow of effort over a long period of time. The compound effect will make the difference. It is like throwing dice: It's not about trying to throw the maximum sum with one or a few handfuls. It's about accumulating the desired results over...