Skip to main content

Crabs and Climbers

Notes to my future me

Crabs and Climbers

This week I adressed an 'inconvenient truth' at work. Disclaimer: I have a huge part in it.

I give the blame for all to the fact that I easily subscribe to 'Crab-Mentality'. That one is quickly explained: Imagine a bucket full of living crabs. Cooperative crabs could easily escape their captivity: They would help each other to overcome their bucket-prison - piece of cake. Lots of resourceful crabs would create a climbing-crew and release each and every one into freedom - no one is left behind.

Crabs

Instead something different happens. The crabs pull each other down and hinder any crab to escape successfully. "If I can't have it, nobody can." is the motto. The result is well known: everyone is worse off, or more specifically: in the end all crabs end up as a yummy dish.

Climbers

The -more constructive- opposite of the crab mentality is the climbers' mindset. It is pro cooperation and its purpose is to improve systems, processes and organisations. In the end everyone benefits. However switching from one mode into the other is tricky and demands at least two preconditions: awareness and consequence.

The Challenge

I often struggle with awareness already. Diagnosing crab-mentality and a short-sightedness in other people's decisions and acting I find mostly the least of a challenge - however not so much considering myself. My go-to-question for clarity and awareness therefore is:

"Does this improve the system or do you serve an alternative motive?"

Even in case I have managed to change my perspective, the second end-boss is already lurking around the corner: consequence in action. Am I really ready and willing to admit my own mistake/fallacy and clear the air to move in a new, more productive direction? Even when I have invested so much already? At this point my future-me is a decisive helper. If my future me could control my actions, how would it decide in my stead? Most of the times this gives me the nudge to move into the right direction - not only see, but really to follow up and act. Always pro climbers, always for the better solution for everyone.

What mistaken thinking, error in judgement or fallacy is your end-boss? What is your secret formula to overcome it?


Happy Easter!


#crabsandclimbers #mistakenthinking #notestomyfutureme







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn To Unlearn

Be Brilliant Subject matter expertise has its perks. Being an expert on any field requires deep learning as well as deliberate practice over years and years. The more professional experience you gain the more you'll swap a minimum principle mindset ('What do I need to do to achieve XY?') for a maximum principle ('How much can I possibly achieve with my available resources?'). When I started as a consultant I had a very basic and fragmented knowledge in most of the technical aspects in my subject matter. At the time I was already a certified and experienced supply chain management expert with some merits. However, as the branch I had worked in (military and defence) neither used the latest technology nor had a business model that promoted short development or change cycles in leadership or management, I did not feel 100% competitive. Therefore I faced some serious challenges when I started my career in the private sector.  At the time when I joined a consulting compa...

Friday Retrospective

As a habit  I take my time and sit down every Friday and reflect on the past week. For this task I have a journal where I take some notes. I am not a hundred percent consequential to be honest even though the effects it had on my life are severe. As a standard scheme I ask myself five questions. 1. What was the most important change? For me it was my inoculation, which I had today. It wasn't the event itself, but more the perspective it triggered. The hope to see and meet friends and family, clients and colleagues again some day soon overwhelmed me. I am absolutely convinced that I belong to the lucky ones who benefited tremendously from the pandemic with all its ups and downs, so I don't want to sound self pitying. But like everyone I have been hurting. Hurting to see my kids not being able to visit their Granny, hurting not being able to meet with loved ones far away once in a while. Compared to that the restrictions at work felt miniscule. And now for the first time in 18 mo...

How I Stay Motivated pt 3/3

 #HWBTWTDWH Action and execution are the only means that will move you towards your goals. They will always have a larger stake in the value rendered than any groundbreaking idea, any bulletproof plan, or talent and genius. Don't get me wrong: great ideas, plans and talent are all viable multipliers. However, without execution they will not make any difference. Thus t here's one law to career making and success in business or life in general: Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard . And for the work part, there’s good news: smooth and steady effort is more effective than sporadic strong effort. 'Hard work' thus should not be understood as excessive, over ambitious but sporadic work, but as a steady and sustainable flow of effort over a long period of time. The compound effect will make the difference. It is like throwing dice: It's not about trying to throw the maximum sum with one or a few handfuls. It's about accumulating the desired results over...